Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Web 2.0 Applications

I am certainly learning a lot about various technology applications lately. It is a fun experience and is offering some great potential uses in teaching resources and in the classroom activities. So far my experience has been class discussion boards, which I really enjoy using. But, they have a limited potential. I never realized there were so many useful options available.

Wikis looks like a great resource if used properly. But, that is just it. There are a number of people that would use it in a negative way. As classroom collaboration, I could see this as a useful tool for students to ask questions they are afraid too in front of anyone else. The anonymity would let anyone post anything. However, there will always remain a question of validity, unless each posting thread would be discussed in the classroom. The ability to alter any previous post does bother me.

I had never heard of VoiceThread. I think this would be an excellent way to open up the classroom to experience views from students located in other schools, states and countries. It offers a great prospect for students to expand their understanding of different cultures and their view points. Students just might discover they are more similar to others than they think. They may also learn to be more excepting of others.

My Favorites has been a well used tool on my computer. I had heard of delicious.com and social bookmarking but, had never investigated its uses. Wow! I really like this idea. It would be great to have quick access to sites others have found useful, especially for the new teacher. This is definitely a time saver when looking for usable information for the classroom. I must say Social Bookmarking may very well become a ‘best friend’ for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment